Sunday 14 April 2013

It Started in Delhi

Delhi used to be my world not so long ago.
An area of about 1000 square km or thereabouts and capital city of India. I was born there and had all my education there. It's a place where the weather varies from extreme hot in summers to extreme cold in winters, with  a decent rain during the monsoon season. The landscape is mostly flat, by which i mean that you dont expect to see hills , mountains etc here. The action is mostly in the cultural space. I will explain. Delhi speaks a special type of Hindi, which is derived from Hindi, Urdu, English, Punjabi, Haryanvi and other regional language mix. Delhi eats a mix of different Indian cousines in its own Delhi way.This is because historically, Delhi has always seen people come and settle from all parts of our country, bringing with them their own food and culture. (This was the case with my ancestors as well.) But it doesn't take long to become a big mix and match show. Everything gets absorbed and becomes Delhi.

I was absorbed too. From speaking the Delhi Hindi or relishing the rajma chawal for lunch to  effortlessly playing games in the scorching heat of summers or hurting cold of winters, I would say I was immersed completely. I was reminded that there is a world outside only during our geography or social sciences lessons when we read about a big landmass called India or when we actually ventured out during our summer vacations. But I feel there is a magnetism or some strange power in Delhi, which made us to quickly forget those moments of diversion and revert back to the mean line of thought, ie, Delhi is the world.Growing up in the city, Delhi was all that I knew.

But Delhi's magnetism not with standing, once in a while, I wondered, what would it be like outside. India is so big. What all will be there. Shouldn't  I be seeing and experiencing what India has to offer. Searching for information in books and as questions to teachers, I unknowingly was getting attracted to India. I wanted to cross the wall now.

Around six years ago, I got a chance to do something about this situation. As I had to decide between accepting a job offer in Delhi or outside, I weighed in my options. I chose to leave Delhi.

TWN2V4U35VNK

No comments:

Post a Comment